Connect with us

The Purdue Boilermakers have taken their hits from almost every conceivable corner this season.

Coach Jeff Brohm and all-conference defensive end George Karlaftis missed games because of positive COVID-19 tests. All-American receiver Rondale Moore sat out the first three games after aggravating a hamstring injury. Starting quarterback Aidan O’Connell suffered a season-ending foot injury in mid-November.

Last week, Brohm said at least five players had opted out of the rest of this season while another, receiver Amad Anderson, had entered the transfer portal. More bad news came Monday when Brohm said Antonio Stevens (knee surgery) and Jalen Graham (illness) would miss Saturday’s rivalry game at No. 8 Indiana.

Now even that game could be in jeopardy: Purdue canceled Tuesday’s practice to “evaluate the recent results of COVID-19 testing.” Indiana also announced it has paused all team-related activities due to an increase in COVID-19 cases within the program.

Despite all the obstacles and all the frustrations, Brohm remains encouraged by one thing — Purdue’s ability to fight back.

“I do like the fact our guys have been playing hard,” he said. “They have been practicing well. We have had a chance in every game to win. But all of us haven’t done our part to get to the level we need to in order to win close football games. Those are the things you’ve got to learn from, you’ve got to identify them.”

Since winning their first two games in October, the Boilermakers (2-4) have endured the cancellation of the Wisconsin game in Week 3, followed by four straight losses with a total scoring margin of minus-24.

Next up is Indiana (6-1), one of college football’s biggest surprises. With a win, the Hoosiers can wrap up their first undefeated home season since 1991, break the single-season school record for most conference wins and likely break a tie with the 1945 Big Ten title team for most consecutive weeks in the Top 25 (seven).

After winning the Old Oaken Bucket in his first two seasons in West Lafayette, before giving it back to Indiana following an overtime loss last season, Brohm has a pretty good notion of what Purdue must do to reclaim the prized trophy.

“When you play in the Big Ten, you have to play at a high level each and every week to win, and we have not done some of the small things in these games to give ourselves a chance,” he said. “We’ve dug some holes and we’ve had some big miscues that have hurt us.”

Brohm continues to prepare as best he can for the Hoosiers. He has a reputation for emptying the playbook, as Indiana defensive coordinator Kane Wommack noted. He might play Jake Plummer and Austin Burton, the grad transfer from UCLA who nearly replaced Plummer after last weekend’s slow start, at quarterback.

But what Brohm really wants to see is the Boilermakers come out swinging.

“I want to see coaches and players that want to compete and show some fight and that want to do everything in our power to get the Bucket,” he said. “We need to put in the work, build up the inner anger so when you take the field you’re ready to compete and fight for the win.”



Source link

0
Continue Reading

Sports

Ban vs WI, 1st ODI – Six West Indies players debut as Bangladesh opt to bowl in overcast conditions | Cricket

314893.4







Shakib Al Hasan will be playing his first game since his ban ended © Raton Gomes/BCB


Bangladesh chose to field vs West Indies

Tamim Iqbal, standing as Bangladesh captain for the first time since his appointment nine months ago, chose to field against an inexperienced West Indies led by Jason Mohammed in the first ODI in Mirpur. Both teams are playing their first game of the World Cup Super League, the pathway tournament for the qualification for the 2023 ODI World Cup.

There were debutants for both teams. Pacer Hasan Mahmud, who made his T20I debut last year, became the 134th Bangladesh ODI cricketer. For West Indies, six players – Akeal Hosein, Andre McCarthy, Chemar Holder, Joshua Da Silva, Kyle Mayers and Nkrumah Bonner – made their ODI debuts. The ODI also sees Shakib Al Hasan’s return after his ban for not reporting a corrupt approach elapsed.

At the toss, Iqbal said that the overcast conditions prompted him to bowl first. Mohammed didn’t mind batting first, saying the surface “looks like a good wicket”. He also said that the young players in the XI were looking forward to playing international cricket. As for his captaincy, Mohammed said he was “trying to stay as calm as possible”.

Bangladesh 1 Tamim Iqbal (capt), 2 Liton Das, 3 Nazmul Hossain Shanto, 4 Shakib Al Hasan, 5 Mushfiqur Rahim (wk), 6 Mahmudullah, 7 Soumya Sarkar, 8 Mehidy Hasan Miraz, 9 Hasan Mahmud, 10 Mustafizur Rahman, 11 Rubel Hossain

West Indies XI 1 Sunil Ambris, 2 Joshua da Silva (wk), 3 Andre McCarthy, 4 Nkrumah Bonner, 5 Jason Mohammed (capt), 6 Rovman Powell, 7 Kyle Mayers, 8 Akeal Hosein, 9 Raymon Reifer, 10 Alzarri Joseph, 11 Chemar Holder

Sreshth Shah is a sub-editor at ESPNcricinfo


©
ESPN Sports Media Ltd.




Source link

0
Continue Reading

Sports

FIFA Club World Cup 2020 – News – Draw lays out path to FIFA Club World Cup glory

  • Action to start on 4 February with Tigres against Ulsan
  • Al Duhail and Al Ahly will clash in the second match
  • The winners of the latter will play Bayern München in the semi-finals

Today’s Official Draw at the Home of FIFA in Zurich mapped out the road to global glory for the six clubs competing at the FIFA Club World Cup Qatar 2020™.

Tigres UANL and Ulsan Hyundai FC will face each other in the first game scheduled for 4 February at 17:00 local time (15:00 CET) at Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium, while Al Duhail SC and Al Ahly SC will face off at 20:30 (18:30 CET) on the same day at Education City.

The Tigres-Ulsan winners will move on to play the Copa Libertadores champions – Palmeiras and Santos will contest the final on 30 January – in the semi-finals, while Al Duhail or Al Ahly will take on FC Bayern München.

The Qatar 2020 champions will be crowned following the final at Education City Stadium on 11 February, with kick-off at 21:00 (19:00 CET).

Source link

0
Continue Reading

Sports

The Hundred 2021 – Jonny Bairstow, Dawid Malan among names in latest Hundred player retentions list

315220.6

Jonny Bairstow, Dawid Malan and Jason Roy are among the England men’s internationals who have been retained by their teams for this year’s inaugural edition of the Hundred, while Sunil Narine, Mohammad Amir, Lizelle Lee, Marizanne Kapp and Mignon du Preez have been confirmed for overseas player slots.

The ECB has announced another batch of more than 50 player retentions for its new competition, which was pushed back by the Covid-19 pandemic. The process for allowing men’s teams to decide whether they want to keep players selected in the original draft in 2019 will run until February 4, after which there will be a mini-draft to complete the squads.

All players in the women’s competition had previously been given the option to roll over their contracts or negotiate with other teams.

ALSO READ: The Hundred – full 2021 squad lists

Bairstow will remain with Welsh Fire, despite losing his place as the team’s centrally contracted Test player to Ollie Pope, where he is understood to have secured a top-band contract worth £100,000. He will play for the Cardiff-based team alongside fellow white-ball internationals Tom Banton and Ben Duckett.

“I’m delighted to be staying at Welsh Fire and I’m really looking forward to representing the team this summer,” Bairstow said. “Ben and Tom are both excellent players and we’ve got the makings of a really strong line-up.”

Malan, ranked the ICC’s No. 1 T20I batsman, has opted to stay with Trent Rockets on a deal increased after initially being drafted in the sixth of seven salary bands, while Roy will play on his county home ground with Oval Invincibles.

“I was really pleased when Trent Rockets picked me in the men’s draft and it was a no-brainer to stay with the side,” Malan said. “We’ve got a really exciting mix of local talent and overseas stars and we’ll be aiming to bring the trophy to Trent Bridge.”

In the women’s competition, South Africa’s Lee and du Preez have signed for Manchester Originals, Kapp stays at Oval Invincibles, and their compatriot Chloe Tryon will turn out for Lord’s-based London Spirit.

“I’ve got some fantastic memories of playing in England both internationally and in the Kia Super League and I can’t wait to take part in the Hundred later this year for Manchester Originals,” Lee said. “It’s really exciting to be playing in a new competition and I think it’s a great opportunity to continue to grow the women’s game.”

Kapp added: “The Kia Oval is a fantastic place to play cricket and I’m really looking forward to playing for Oval Invincibles there. We’ve got a great group of players and I’m hoping we can go all the way in the competition.”

Other notable retentions include England spinner Kirstie Gordon remaining with Birmingham Phoenix, Narine staying at Oval Invincibles, and Amir and Mohammad Nabi sticking with London Spirit.

Birmingham Phoenix: Emily Arlott, Kirstie Gordon, Tom Helm, Benny Howell, Phoebe Franklin, Abtaha Maqsood

London Spirit: Mohammad Amir, Amara Carr, Aylish Cranstone, Jade Dernbach, Danielle Gibson, Mohammad Nabi, Luis Reece, Adam Rossington, Susie Rowe, Chloe Tryon

Manchester Originals: Joe Clarke, Danielle Collins, Mignon du Preez, Alice Dyson, Cordelia Griffith, Hannah Jones, Lizelle Lee, Phil Salt

Northern Superchargers: Helen Fenby, Bess Heath, Tom Kohler-Cadmore, Adam Lyth

Oval Invincibles: Megan Belt, Alex Blake, Eva Gray, Marizanne Kapp, Sunil Narine, Jason Roy, Rhianna Southby, Nathan Sowter

Southern Brave: Lauren Bell, Alex Davies, Sonia Odedra, Max Waller

Trent Rockets: Kathryn Bryce, Matthew Carter, Abbey Freeborn, Dawid Malan, Tom Moores, Steven Mullaney

Welsh Fire: Jonny Bairstow, Tom Banton, Ben Duckett, Alex Griffiths, Georgia Hennessy, Lauren Filer, Sophie Luff, Natasha Wraith

Source link

0
Continue Reading

Trending