Connect with us

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionKentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron presented the grand jury decision

A police officer has been charged over the narcotics raid that resulted in the fatal shooting of a black woman at her home in the US state of Kentucky.

Breonna Taylor, 26, a hospital worker, was shot multiple times as officers stormed her home on 13 March.

Brett Hankison has been charged, not with Ms Taylor’s death, but with “wanton endangerment” for firing into a neighbour’s apartment in Louisville.

Two other officers who were involved have not been charged.

Under Kentucky law, someone is guilty of wanton endangerment if they commit an act that shows “an extreme indifference to the value of human life”.

It is a felony that can come with a five-year sentence for each count. Mr Hankison was charged on three counts.

Ms Taylor’s relatives and activists for whom her death has become a rallying cry had been calling for the three officers to be charged with murder or manslaughter.

But this was rejected by a grand jury that reviewed the evidence.

Ben Crump, a high-profile lawyer for the Taylor family, said the outcome was “outrageous and offensive”.

Officials this month agreed to pay her family $12m (£9.3m) in a settlement.

Image copyright
Facebook

Image caption

Taylor, an emergency medical technician, was 26 when she died

What did the prosecutor say?

On Wednesday, Judge Annie O’Connell announced the charges that had been brought by a grand jury against Mr Hankison.

Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron then held a news conference in which he expanded on the decision. “This is a gut-wrenching emotional case,” he said.

“There is nothing I can offer them today to take away the grief and heartache as a result of losing a child, a niece, a sister and a friend,” he added in a message to Ms Taylor’s family.

Mr Cameron said a ballistics report had found that six bullets struck Ms Taylor, but only one was fatal.

That analysis concluded that Detective Myles Cosgrove had fired the shot that killed Ms Taylor.

The attorney general said it was not clear if Mr Hankison’s shots had hit Ms Taylor, but they had hit a neighbouring apartment.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionProtesters march in Louisville following the grand jury decision

The top prosecutor said the other two officers – Jonathan Mattingly and Mr Cosgrove – had been “justified to protect themselves and the justification bars us from pursuing criminal charges”.

Mr Cameron, a Republican who is the state’s first black attorney general, added: “If we simply act on emotion or outrage, there is no justice.

“Mob justice is not justice. Justice sought by violence is not justice. It just becomes revenge.”

He added that the FBI was still investigating potential violations of federal law in the case.

Image copyright
Reuters

Image caption

The National Guard were deployed in Louisville ahead of the announcement

How are the Louisville authorities reacting?

A state of emergency was declared in Louisville on Tuesday and protests are expected. The National Guard have also been deployed.

Mayor Greg Fischer has set a 21:00-06:30 curfew in the city that will remain in place for the next 72 hours. He earlier said he had declared a state of emergency “due to the potential for civil unrest”.

Police have closed traffic on certain streets where protests have been prevalent, and barricades have been erected around the city centre.

Demonstrations over Ms Taylor’s death have been held in the city for more than 100 consecutive days.

The National Guard deployment has been criticised because one of its troops fatally shot a black restaurant owner, David McAtee, as authorities dispersed Black Lives Matter protesters in June.

The police department said its officers had come under fire while they were trying to clear the area. But after officers on the scene were found to have not activated their body cameras, the city’s police chief was sacked.

Image copyright
Reuters

What happened to Ms Taylor?

Shortly after midnight on Friday 13 March, she was in bed with her boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, when they heard a banging on the door.

Plainclothes Louisville police officers were carrying out a narcotics raid, and they used a battering ram to enter the property.

A judge had granted a warrant to search Ms Taylor’s home because investigators suspected a convicted drug dealer – her ex-boyfriend, Jamarcus Glover – was using the address to receive packages. She had no criminal record.

Image copyright
Reuters

Mr Walker, a licensed gun owner, later told police he thought the late-night intruder was Glover, according to the New York Times.

Officials say Mr Walker’s bullet struck a police officer, Jonathan Mattingly, in the leg – an injury for which he later required surgery.

The three officers returned fire, discharging 32 rounds, according to a ballistics report from the FBI.

Ms Taylor, who had also got out of bed amid the commotion, was shot and died on the hallway floor.

According to an arrest report, the officers had been granted a “no-knock” warrant, allowing them to enter the property without warning.

Image copyright
Reuters

But Mr Cameron said on Wednesday the officers had not actually served such a warrant. The attorney general said the officers’ statements that they identified themselves “are corroborated by an independent witness”.

Some neighbours told local media they did not hear the officers announce themselves.

No drugs were found at the property, though Jefferson County prosecutor Thomas Wine has previously said the search was cancelled after the shooting.

The subsequent police report contained errors, including listing Ms Taylor’s injuries as “none” and saying no force was used to enter, when a battering ram had been used.

Mr Walker was initially charged with attempted murder and assault of a police officer, but the case against him was dropped in May amid national scrutiny of the case.

Image copyright
LMPD

Image caption

From left: Brett Hankison, Jonathan Mattingly and Myles Cosgrove

What about the officers?

Mr Hankison was fired from the Louisville Metro Police Department in June after investigators found he had “wantonly and blindly fired 10 rounds” during the raid, according to his termination letter.

Mr Mattingly and Mr Cosgrove were reassigned to administrative duties.

The Louisville Courier-Journal has reported that six officers are under internal police review for their role in the shooting.

Mr Mattingly wrote an email on Saturday to more than 1,000 colleagues in which he criticised city leaders and protesters.

“Regardless of the outcome today or Wednesday, I know we did the legal, moral and ethical thing that night,” he wrote in the message, which was published by media outlets on Tuesday.

“It’s sad how the good guys are demonised, and the criminals are canonised.”

“Your civil rights mean nothing,” he added, “but the criminal has total autonomy.”

Are you in Louisville? Share your views and experiences by emailing .

Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist. You can also get in touch in the following ways:

If you are reading this page and can’t see the form you will need to visit the mobile version of the BBC website to submit your question or comment or you can email us at . Please include your name, age and location with any submission.



Source link

0
Continue Reading

Politics

The Culture Secretary Has Told Netflix To Put A Warning Into “The Crown” Telling Viewers The Drama Is Fictionalised

PA 49029824 eh9neh

Oliver Dowden is expected to write to Netflix calling for a warning message to be placed on episodes of The Crown (PA)


3 min read

The culture secretary Oliver Dowden wants Netflix to place a warning at the start of episodes of “The Crown” telling viewers the drama is fictionalised.

He said people could be in danger of thinking the events depicted in it are a wholly accurate version of what happened after a number of complaints about the new series of the hit show.

The minister is expected to write to the streaming service requesting a message is placed on screen, echoing a similar suggestion from Earl Spencer, the brother of Diana, Princess of Wales.

Speaking to the Mail on Sunday Mr Dowden said the series, which stars Olivia Colman as the Queen, was a “beautifully produced work of fiction”.

But he raised concerns younger viewers who do not have prior knowledge of some aspects might mistake the fictional representations for an accurate version of what happened.

There has been criticism of how various members of the Royal Family have been depicted, including Prince Charles after the latest episodes show the tensions in his marriage to Princess Diana.

And the widow of an army officer killed in an avalanche at a Swiss ski resort said she was “very upset” to learn the disaster features in the new series.

Sarah Horsley, whose husband Major Hugh Lindsay, a friend of the Prince of Wales and a former Queen’s equerry who died in 1988, asked The Crown’s producers not to include it, and was “horrified” when she was told the episode was going ahead.

Mr Dowden told the Mail on Sunday: “It’s a beautifully produced work of fiction, so as with other TV productions, Netflix should be very clear at the beginning it is just that.

“Without this, I fear a generation of viewers who did not live through these events may mistake fiction for fact.”

Last week Earl Spencer told ITV’s Lorraine: “I think it would help The Crown an enormous amount if, at the beginning of each episode, it stated that: ‘This isn’t true but it is based around some real events’.”

He added: “I worry people do think that this is gospel and that’s unfair.”

But actress Emma Corrin, who plays Princess Diana, has defended the show, saying: “I think for everyone in the The Crown, we always try and remind everyone that the series we are in is fictionalised, to a great extent.

“Obviously it has its roots in reality and in some fact, but Peter Morgan’s scripts are works of fiction.”

She added: “At the same time, I understand why people would be upset, because this is history… and even with Diana, you know, it’s still very much fresh, I suppose, everything that happened. So I do really understand if people would be upset.

“But obviously, for all of the cast, we just want to constantly remind people that we approach these people that we play as characters, which is why it’s such a joyous job, because Peter [Morgan, the show’s creator] writes such rich and complex characters, and as an actor it’s such a joy to be able to really bring a lot to them.”

Source link

0
Continue Reading

Politics

Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr share an engaging draw in ‘exhibition’ bout

115688122 jonestyson

Tyson and Jones were said to have drawn after eight, two-minute rounds

Mike Tyson said he will “continue to go further and do more” in the boxing ring after his return to the sport ended in an engaging draw with Roy Jones Jr.

The 54-year-old former world heavyweight champion ended 15 years of inactivity to take on 51-year-old Jones in a high-profile pay-per-view ‘exhibition’ – but fears the pair would serve up a some form of money-making farce were not realised as they did enough to provide entertainment.

While rap artist Snoop Dogg said it was like watching “two of my uncles fighting at a barbecue” during his stint as a ringside commentator at the spectator-less Staples Center in Los Angeles, former world champions including David Haye, Lennox Lewis and George Foreman expressed satisfaction.

Tyson last fought in 2005 and looked focused as he walked to the ring for his highly-anticipated return
Tyson last fought in 2005 and looked focused as he walked to the ring for his highly-anticipated return

There were glimpses of the past as Tyson swayed from the hips, ploughed forward and tried to unload shots, while Jones sought to move fluidly, though he was visibly drained by the halfway stage.

Tyson landed a couple of eye-catching left hooks, some solid body shots and unquestionably forced the pace. Many on social media felt he had won well but the judges – not employed by the sanctioning body but by the WBC to offer added entertainment – thought otherwise.

Tyson said he was happy with the draw and made clear his future pursuits would not be in a professional capacity: “This is bigger than championships, we are humanitarians, we are helping people. I’m happy I got this under the belt and I’ll continue to go further and do more.”

Jones, a former four-weight world champion, said he would talk to his family before considering fighting again, and added: “I don’t do draws but the dude is so strong, man. When he hits you, his head, his punches, his body shots, everything hurts. I’m cool with the draw.”

So did it work?

Tyson punches Jones
Tyson landed some solid work on Jones, who looked to hit, move and tie his opponent up

Former heavyweight champion Foreman tweeted it was the “best exhibition I have ever seen”, Haye said the event was “competitive” and former world super-middleweight champion Richie Woodhall said the pair “didn’t disgrace themselves in any shape or form”.

What an ‘exhibition’ would look like was up for debate. The California State Athletic Commission, which sanctioned the fight, had required two-minute rounds instead of the usual three minutes, larger than normal 12-ounce gloves and had said neither fighter could seek a knockout. In a bid to make make the bout safer for the 50-something fighters, the commission even stated a winner would not be named.

Ultimately when the bell sounded Tyson tried to fight aggressively, Jones looked to survive and tie his rival up a bit and any fears they would walk around and do little were quickly overcome.

Music artists including Wiz Khalifa and Snoop Dogg performed in a bid to add to the pay-per-view offer, and moments before his ring walk Jones questioned the small ring in use, stating: “It’s like they are feeding me to the bear.”

Moments before he walked to the ring in his glory years Tyson was known to punch holes in changing room walls. Here, he admitted to fears moments before his ring walk as he stated: “I’m just pushing myself. Whatever I’m afraid to do, I do.”

Tyson got himself in shape for his return and looked less fatigued than Jones as the fight progressed
Tyson got himself in shape for his return and looked less fatigued than Jones as the fight progressed

Jones’ energy tank looked close to empty by halfway but Tyson – who will give some of the reported $10m (£7.5m) he earned to charity – appeared well conditioned over the eight rounds.

UFC president Dana White watched and said: “Time is undefeated and takes us all down. Fighting is a young man’s game. Mike looked awesome tonight. I was blown away. It exceeded my expectations.”

Since his first heavyweight world-title win aged 20 – a record that still stands – Tyson has been in prison for rape, battled drug and alcohol abuse, been bankrupt, acted in films and fronted his own one-man show.

Despite scandal and chaos he has stayed relevant and fans posted images of the hell-raising figure they hoped they may see moments before a ring return that had been anticipated by some and ridiculed by others.

While it was acceptable and entertaining, it is hard to see how repeat editions can prove as enticing. This was largely all about seeing if a 54-year-old former champion had anything left.

Tyson showed he did. He was in shape, he punched with menace and it can be argued some high-profile professional fights have offered less in terms of entertainment.

Whether there was enough quality, risk and drama on offer to keep people paying to watch more is another matter.

‘Snoop Dogg wins’ – reaction

Robin Lundberg tweets
Like many, broadcaster Robin Lundberg enjoyed the contributions of rapper Snoop Dogg
Tweet: Former British champion Ashley Theophane was satisfied with what the boxing legends served up
Former British champion Ashley Theophane was satisfied with what the boxing legends served up
Tweet: Former world heavyweight champion George Foreman was glowing in his praise
Former world heavyweight champion George Foreman was glowing in his praise
Like many others, Amir Khan expressed his relief neither Tyson or Jones were hurt
Like many others, Amir Khan expressed his relief neither Tyson or Jones were hurt
Tweet: Meanwhile former wrestler the Iron Sheikh feels WWE legends could profit by getting back in action
Meanwhile former wrestler The Iron Sheikh feels WWE legends could profit by getting back in action

FA Cup banner

  • Watch 13 FA Cup second-round games on BBC iPlayer, the BBC Sport website and app this weekend. Find out more here.

FA Cup footer

Source link

0
Continue Reading

Politics

Whole Foods sent some customers a disconcerting email about their turkey

201126115613 whole foods logo file super tease

An undetermined number of Thanksgiving chefs who purchased their bird from Whole Foods woke up this morning to a concerning email.

A “small number” of fresh market turkeys that were purchased from Whole Foods “did not meet our high expectations for quality,” the letter from Amazon customer service said. The note stressed there was no known food safety or health risk with any of the turkeys, but still, its recipient would be given a $50 Amazon gift card credited to their account.

“We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are grateful to be a part of your holiday feasting,” the email said.

Reached for comment by CNN, Whole Foods confirmed that it had “discovered a small number of fresh turkey products in our South region that did not meet our high expectations for quality.”

“While these products do not pose any known health risks, we know how important holiday meals are to our shoppers and have proactively contacted customers who potentially purchased one of these turkeys,” the company said.

Stores in Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, as well as two in the Florida panhandle were impacted, Whole Foods said.

The company assured that not all fresh turkey products were affected, nor did it say what, exactly, went wrong.

Whole Foods was also seen responding to some customers on Twitter re-affirming that the turkeys were safe to eat, and pointed them to US Food and Drug Administration guidelines for safely roasting a turkey.

The FDA’s website says fresh turkeys shouldn’t be bought more than 1-2 days before they are cooked. The guidelines say ovens should be set to no cooler than 325, and a whole turkey is safe when its cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees.

Source link

0
Continue Reading

Trending