Connect with us

Canelo Alvarez, boxing’s biggest star, filed a lawsuit Tuesday in Los Angeles Federal Court against Golden Boy Promotions, CEO Oscar De La Hoya and exclusive U.S. broadcasting partner DAZN on 10 counts including breach of contract and intentional interference.

The complaint was first reported by The Athletic, which obtained a copy of the 24-page lawsuit stating Alvarez (53-1-2, 36 KOs), currently ranked as the top pound-for-pound boxer in the world by CBS Sports, is seeking at least $280 million in damages based on what is still owed to him (plus lost sponsorship and gate revenue) from the $350 million deal he signed with DAZN in 2018. 

“I’m the pound-for-pound number one in the world,” Alvarez told The Athletic in a statement. “I’m not scared of any opponent in the ring and I’m not going to let failures of my broadcaster or promoters keep me out of the ring. I filed the lawsuit so I can get back to boxing and give my fans the show they deserve.”

The lawsuit comes off the heels of more than a year of distrust and bickering between Alvarez and his promoter, along with a recent impasse with DAZN that has made the prospect of the Mexican icon’s return in 2020 increasingly unlikely. 

The 30-year-old Alvarez saw his proposed May return against 168-pound titleholder Billy Joe Saunders canceled due to the coronavirus outbreak. After discussions for a September return fell apart largely due to the lack of a live gate, rumors of a November return hit a dead end when it came to light DAZN, claiming Alvarez was violating the terms of his deal by not seeking a “premier” opponent, reportedly offered half of his guaranteed $35 million purse per fight. 

Respect box? Subscribe to our podcast — State of Combat with Brian Campbell — where we take an in-depth look at the world of boxing each week, including a complete breakdown of the Canelo/DAZN saga with Rafe Bartholomew below.

Alvarez was willing to compromise, according to the complaint, but DAZN failed to present a new offer. The all-sports streaming app has been slow to return to a full-time boxing schedule during the quarantine amid recent layoffs after an aggressive 2018 launch that saw DAZN boldly declare the death of traditional pay-per-view. 

The crux of the division between Alvarez and DAZN appears to center upon the fighter’s unwillingness to accept a trilogy bout against fellow 160-pound champion Gennadiy Golovkin after their first two all-action fights, which aired on HBO PPV, each produced more than one million buys. The reason for the divide apparently has more to do with the language of the contracts. 

The personal services contract Alvarez signed is with Golden Boy and not DAZN itself. Therefore, Alvarez believes that promises made by the promoter to DAZN that a third Alvarez-Golovkin fight would be delivered fall solely on Golden Boy. 

While DAZN didn’t respond to attempts at a comment from The Athletic, Golden Boy denied any promises were ever made. 

“Nobody from Golden Boy ever promised anyone that Canelo would fight any specified opponent,” Golden Boy spokesperson Stefan Friedman told The Athletic. “We simply agreed to put on the kind of premier, history-making fights we worked on together in 2019. Canelo’s beef is with DAZN. They’re the ones refusing to honor the contract.”

Prior reporting from The Athletic revealed Golden Boy was contractually obligated to deliver one “premier” opponent for Alvarez to face on DAZN each year. Not only did DAZN determine both Saunders and fellow unbeaten super middleweight titleholder Callum Smith didn’t fit the “premier” label this fall, DAZN determined the same for Alvarez’s 2019 opponents — Daniel Jacobs and Sergey Kovalev. 

According to the lawsuit, Alvarez believes DAZN is using the argument over “premier” opponents, which he claims was previously undisclosed, as excuses to get out of approving and paying him for the remainder of his deal. He also alleged that Golden Boy breached its fiduciary duty and intentionally misled him on its own deal with DAZN. 

Alvarez’s legal team, the California-based Maloney Firm, requested Golden Boy find a new broadcasting partner for Alvarez’s fall return. According to the court document, Golden Boy told Alvarez it was talking with potential broadcasters but that a plan was never presented to him. 

Alvarez currently holds the WBA middleweight title and a secondary WBA belt at 168 pounds. He also vacated the WBC title he won at 175 pounds by knocking out Kovalev. 



Source link

0
Continue Reading

Sports

Kevin Owens and Dolph Ziggler battle in a Survivor Qualifying Match to represent SmackDown

Video Details





Source link

0
Continue Reading

Sports

Welcome to FIFA.com News – Happy 60th, Diego

swdggzumjmlgqyfa1jvg

  • Diego Maradona celebrates his 60th birthday today
  • We pay tribute with video footage and stats
  • He was directly involved in ten of 13 Argentina goals at one tournament

Diego Maradona was just nine when he told a television reporter that his biggest wish was to play at a FIFA World Cup™. Those black-and-white images, from a curly-haired kid who wooed viewers with his incredible ball skills, would reverberate throughout his career and mark a before and after with the Argentina national team.

FIFA.com pays tribute to Maradona by looking back at some of his most inspirational moments of his international career.

From debut to first disappointment

Maradona was already a teen sensation with Argentinos Juniors when he made his Albiceleste debut in February 1977 in a friendly against Hungary at La Bombonera, one of the stadiums that would also witness his heroics at club level.

‘El Pelusa’ became, at 16 years and 130 days, the youngest player to represent Argentina – a record which still remains.

Maradona came on in place of Leopoldo Luque and, while he failed to score in the 5-1 win, he managed to demonstrate his undoubted quality, just as he did in subsequent preparation games for Argentina 1978. However, it proved insufficient to earn him a place in the squad that would go on to win the title on home soil, providing the first major disappointment of his bourgeoning career.

“When I was omitted from the squad for ‘being too young’, I began to realise that my anger could be a fuel for me,” he would later say.






See also



Taffarel exclusive on Maradona, Hagi, Alisson, Messi & Neymar




‘El Pibe de Oro’ conquers Japan

Under the stewardship of Cesar Menotti, the same coach who had left him out of the squad for Argentina 1978, Maradona proved his worth by leading La Albiceleste to the title at the FIFA U-20 World Cup Japan 1979™.

His dazzling performance, a foretaste of what would happen seven years later in Mexico, earned him the adidas Golden Ball as the tournament’s best player.

His six goals secured him the adidas Silver Boot as second-best scorer. Notably, he found the net once in the quarters, semis and final, underlining his ability to produce on the big occasion.

Azteca ecstasy

The frustration that carried over from Spain 1982, when his World Cup ended with a red card in the defeat to Brazil, only fuelled Maradona’s desire to make amends at Mexico 1986. With Carlos Bilardo at the helm, ‘El Diez’ produced one of the most impactful individual performances in the history of the World Cup and contributed enormously to Argentina’s title.

His goals against England in the quarter-finals are now part of footballing lore. For the first, he converted with his hand without the referee noticing, famously claiming afterwards that it had been “with the hand of God”.

The second, however, was one of the finest individual efforts of all time. “Cosmic kite, which planet did you come from?” shouted Uruguayan commentator Victor Hugo Morales in immortalising the goal.

With five goals and five assists, Maradona had a hand in ten of his side’s 13 strikes in Mexico, picking up the adidas Golden Ball as well as Silver Boot. And though he did not manage to score in the Final, he did provide the assist for the winning goal in the 3-2 victory.

Suffering, joy and tears…

Maradona and Argentina went into Italy 1990 with injury and form concerns and made very hard work of the group phase. Once again Maradona was instrumental, even preventing a goal with his arm against Soviet Union that went unpunished, as his side progressed to the Round of 16 as one of the best third-placed teams.

He followed his exquisite assist for Claudio Caniggia’s winner in the 1-0 defeat of Brazil with a missed penalty against Yugoslavia in the quarter-finals. But Maradona would make amends in the semi-final against Italy in Naples, where, ironically, he played his club football at the time. Inevitably, Maradona would score during the penalty shootout that denied the hosts a place in the Final of their World Cup.

“That was the penalty that caused me the most anguish in my life… But I was the one who knocked Italy out,” he later told FIFA TV. His tears on collecting his runners-up medal after losing the Final to Germany would forever seal his bond with generations of Argentina fans.

Maradona at the World Cup








EditionAppearancesGoalsAssistsResult
Spain 1982520Second phase
Mexico 1986755Champions
Italy 1990702Runners-up
USA 1994211Round of 16
Total2188

  • Maradona is the Argentinian with the most World Cup appearances
  • He is the Argentinian with the most Word Cup assists
  • He is third on the list of Argentinian goalscorers at the World Cup behind Batistuta (10 goals) and Guilermo Stabile (eight)

Source link

0
Continue Reading

Sports

Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr. push back on claims exhibition bout won’t be a ‘real fight’

roy jones jr

Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr. were once tied together for a possible heavyweight showdown when both were active professional boxers. Now, with both men in their 50s, they are set to meet in an exhibition fight on Nov. 28.

The two men participated in a press conference Thursday in anticipation of the fight, with both men talking up the importance of the fight and addressing their preparation at their advanced age.

“I think he looks awesome,” Jones said of recent footage of Tyson training in the gym. “He looks very good. I was very proud to see him bounce back the way he did. Most guys, at 54, they start counting themselves out. Think about it, when I came along, at 32 years old, you were considered an old guy who couldn’t box no more. Seeing Mike hit the pads and the body bag the way he’s doing it, it’s phenomenal. But, we’re freaks. That’s why this is such a big thing.”

Tyson said that he has been sparring, and has gone as long as seven rounds. The fight is an eight-round affair, featuring two-minute rounds, which Tyson took issue with because “the women fight two minutes.”

“I look at film of Roy when he was at his best because that’s the guy I anticipate fighting,” Tyson said. “I’m in the best shape. I boxed seven rounds so far and it keeps improving. I’m boxing younger guys and hungry guys and it’s showing me that, from the looks of things, I’m doing really well.”

Can’t get enough boxing and MMA? Get the latest in the world of combat sports from two of the best in the business. Subscribe to Morning Kombat with Luke Thomas and Brian Campbell for the best analysis and in-depth news.

California State Athletic Commission executive director Andy Foster stated that the bout, which takes place at Los Angeles’ Staples Center, should not be confused with a “fight-fight” and that the fighters have been instructed to not go beyond “hard sparring.” Foster also said referee Ray Corona will be enforcing that neither man is to actively look for a knockout and will keep the intensity of the bout in check.

Both Tyson and Jones took issue with that line of thinking when asked how they will approach the fight under these guidelines.

“Listen, I don’t know what you’re talking about that it’s not a real fight,” Tyson said. “It’s Mike Tyson and Roy Jones and I’m coming to fight and I hope he’s coming to fight. That’s all you need to know.”

Jones doubled down on the thinking, stating, “First of all, if you think you’re going to get in the ring with Mike Tyson, the last guy to get an ‘exhibition’ with Mike got dropped in the first round. If you don’t know that, there’s something wrong with you. Who goes in the ring with the great, legendary Mike Tyson and thinks ‘Oh, this is an exhibition’? 12-ounce gloves? No headgear? Really? This is an exhibition? Come on, bro. Be real.”

The original plans with the CSAC included the fight not being scored. The fight has changed slightly, with the WBC entering the picture and implementing a remote scoring system while also putting up a “Frontline Championship” they created for the fight.

Asked why they would open up their exhibition to an “alphabet organization” like the WBC, especially in light of Floyd Mayweather’s recent comments that boxing is hurt by the number of belts in the sport, Jones became visibly upset.

“I don’t give a damn what nobody got to say. I do what I do, my business is my business,” Jones said. “I don’t care what [Mayweather] or nobody else says. It’s got nothing to do with him. This ain’t got nothing to do with him. He can stay in his lane and do what he’s got to do. Let me do what I do. Secondly, when I was fighting, I wasn’t like them. I went and got every belt possible in my weight class at the time. Mike did the same thing. We come from the old school. We want every belt you got, I don’t care what kind it is. It can be the Joe Petty Seafood belt. I want that. If you want to see me perform and you put a belt on the line? It’s like drugs, I can’t say no.

“It don’t mean nothing to him, maybe. But it means the world to me.”

Tyson didn’t have much to add, but did support Roy’s message, stating, “He said it all. It’s like drugs.”



Source link

0
Continue Reading

Trending