Connect with us

The move comes after a 66% increase in newly reported Covid-19 cases in France over the past week. (PA)


5 min read

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps has insisted Britain “had to act” to impose coronavirus quarantine measures on people coming to the UK from France — and said holidaymakers had gone abroad with their “eyes open”.

The Cabinet minister said there was “no perfect way” to announce changes to travel advice as he revealed that an estimated 160,000 British travellers in France would be affected by the new requirement to self-isolate for 14 days on arrival in the UK from Saturday morning.

And he batted away a call for extra financial support for those unable to work from home, saying there had always been a “significant chance of this happening”.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office announced on Thursday night that six more destinations including France and the Netherlands are being removed from the UK’s safe travel list and will be hit by quarantine measures.

The changes, taking effect from 4am on Saturday, also cover Monaco, Malta, Turks and Caicos Islands and Aruba.

The move comes after a 66% increase in newly reported Covid-19 cases in France over the past week, and a 52% spike in the weekly incidence rate per 100,000 people. 

Meanwhile the Netherlands has seen what the FCO called a “consistent rise in newly reported cases” over the past four weeks, and a 52% rise in newly reported cases in the past week alone.

Even bigger spikes have been recorded in the Turks and Caicos Islands, Aruba and Malta.

Explaining the move on Friday morning, the Transport Secretary, who had to quarantine himself after a holiday to Spain was cut short, told the Today programme it had “not been the easiest of summers to take holidays abroad”.

He said the Government estimated “about 160,000 holidaymakers in France” would be affected by this.

But he said: “I’m afraid it is one of these summers where no one controls this virus, even less so outside of the United Kingdom. 

“And I suppose we went into it with our eyes open and unfortunately in the case of France, as the French Prime Minister Jean Castex said this week, France is going the wrong way with coronavirus.”

Defending the amount of notice given to holidaymakers, Mr Shapps said the UK had been “hoping” to avoid imposing restrictions on those travelling from France.

“A lot of people will have gone in knowing that there was a significant chance of this happening” – Grant Shapps

But he said the 66% increase in cases in the last week meant “we must act”.

“That information… came out last night, which is why we acted last night.

“And we’ve done it, as we did with Belgium last week, where we did allow until 4am Saturday, and that just provides a little bit of time.

“I appreciate that there is no perfect way to do this. No one wants to be having to live alongside this virus, I’m afraid.”

‘EYES OPEN’

The Transport Secretary was also pressed on calls for the Government to do more to support workers who will now find themselves unable to head in because they are in self-isolation.

Senior Conservative MP David Davis this week said the Government should offer sick-pay style compensation to those affected if Britain shifts its quarantine policy while they are out of the country.

But Mr Shapps said: “I think people this year will have gone away knowing that there was a significant risk. And because of that, people will have gone with their eyes open.”

1597463234 39 Transport Secretary Grant Shapps defends short notice for France quarantine

He added: “A lot of people will have gone in knowing that there was a significant chance of this happening and actually a lot of people I know will have amended their holidays to sort of take account of it, perhaps going a bit earlier, knowing that there was a chance of quarantine or indeed may have already come home or come home during the day today.”

‘BLUNT TOOL’

Responding to the announcement, Labour’s Shadow Home Secretary Nick Thomas-Symonds said: “While we support evidence based measures at the border, it’s vital that the Government has a joined-up strategy, and recognises the impact of this on travel-related businesses.

“It is vital that a sector-specific deal is put in place urgently.

 

“That the Government has still not put in place an effective track, trace and isolate system has made matters far worse and made it more likely that we are reliant on the blunt tool of 14-day quarantine.

“The Government should publish all of the scientific evidence its decisions are based on and details of any work being done to reduce the time needed to isolate through increased testing and other measures.”

Liberal Democrat Foreign Affairs spokesperson Alistair Carmichael meanwhile said: “It’s right that the Government is taking steps to minimise the risk of COVID-19 by updating the ‘travel corridor’ as the situation overseas evolves.  

“However, the Foreign Office must acknowledge the significant disruption and disappointment this will cause. All impacted customers must have the chance to reschedule or be offered a full refund, and the Government must underwrite these commitments.”

Under the Government’s quarantine policy, which has been criticised by the travel industry, Brits will still be able to travel to the destinations advised against.

But they are not allowed to leave the place they are staying for the first 14 days in which they are back in the UK.

Those who are travelling to the UK for less than two weeks are expected to self-isolate for the duration of their stay.

Fines up to £3,200 can also be imposed on anyone who does not accurately declare contact details of the place they will be staying to UK authorities.

Source link

0
Continue Reading

Politics

House hits pause on spending vote as Hill leaders resume talks

ap20262611407675 1

Both Democrats and Republicans are eager to reach a deal to avert last-minute drama, though the two parties have squabbled for weeks over various funding and policy provisions in the continuing resolution, which would buy more time for negotiations on a broader spending deal.

“The talks continue, and hopefully we’ll reach an agreement,” Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell told reporters in the Capitol on Tuesday, though he did not comment when asked if he’d spoken with Pelosi.

Without a spending agreement, top Democrats and Republicans would find themselves exactly where they don’t want to be just weeks before the election — perilously close to the Sept. 30 deadline with no agreement to keep the government open.

A deal had appeared to be coming together on Friday, including tens of billions of dollars in farmer payments that Republicans sought in exchange for $2 billion in pandemic-related nutritional assistance that Democrats wanted.

But last-minute objections to the trade relief — including Democratic concerns that the president is leveraging the money to boost his reelection chances — tanked the talks. House Democrats ultimately released stopgap legislation on Monday that lacked both provisions, drawing the ire of McConnell, who tweeted that it “shamefully leaves out key relief and support that American farmers need.”

Both Pelosi and McConnell have been adamant about avoiding yet another government shutdown under President Donald Trump, and have supported a bill to extend funding through mid-December.

Senate Republicans on Monday said a lack of relief for farmers in the stopgap spending bill is problematic. But most stressed that it’s not worth shutting down the government in protest and said their side of the Capitol could still attempt to amend the bill.

“We could offer an amendment to try to put it back,” Senate Appropriations Chair Richard Shelby (R-Ala.) said of the trade aid on Monday. “Or we could vote against the CR. But I’m for running the government. I’d prefer to keep the government running.”

Asked if Republicans would be willing to spend more on food-related assistance in exchange for the farm aid, Shelby said Tuesday: “I’d listen to reason on that.”

Sen. Pat Roberts (R-Kan.), the chair of the Senate Agriculture Committee, slammed the lack of assistance for farmers. But when asked if Republicans would shut down the government without it, he replied, “No.”

As of Friday, Democrats had dropped a request that would extend the Census Bureau’s Dec. 31 deadline to turn over apportionment data used to divvy up House seats to the president — potentially punting the final handling of census data to Democratic nominee Joe Biden if he’s elected this November. Democrats had also failed to secure $3.6 billion in election security grants.

The GOP demands for farm aid, however, have emerged as a sticking point for many rank-and-file Democrats, who have been increasingly irate about Trump’s blatant use of farm aid for political purposes. That includes a campaign rally in Mosinee, Wis., last week, where Trump touted the taxpayer money as if it were a gift from him.

Sen. Debbie Stabenow of Michigan, the No. 4 Senate Democrat and ranking member of the agriculture committee, this week criticized Trump’s use of the program as a “slush fund” and argued Republicans have been unwilling to agree to stricter guardrails around how the aid can be spent.

“This is not just a political fund for the election,” she said.

Helena Bottemiller Evich contributed to this report.

Source link

0
Continue Reading

Politics

Nicola Sturgeon Has Banned Household Mixing In Scotland And Claimed English Measures Do Not Go Far Enough

df676031 5f75 44bf b52b ae50047a601b caotji

Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has banned household mixing (Credit: PA)


3 min read

Nicola Sturgeon has announced a ban on households mixing in Scotland, claiming experts say the restrictions introduced in England by Boris Johnson do not go far enough.

The first minister said the Scottish government’s top experts had warned the curbs announced by the Prime Minister on Tuesday would not make a big enough impact on Covid-19 transmission rates.

“The advice given to the Cabinet by the chief medical officer and the national clinical director is that this on its own will not be sufficient to bring the R number down,” she told the Scottish parliament.

“They stress that we must act, not just quickly and decisively, but also on a scale significant enough to have an impact on the spread of the virus, and they advise that we must take account of the fact that household interaction is a key driver of transmission.”

Mr Johnson has imposed a 10pm curfew on the hospitality industry from midnight on Thursday, as well as a legal requirement for those working in the sector, and in retail, to wear masks.

The PM stopped short of preventing different households from socialising with each other outside of local lockdown areas, but said people should work from home wherever possible.

Mrs Sturgeon said she planned to impose similar restrictions on pubs, bars and restaurants but would also go further.

“To that end, we intend as Northern Ireland did yesterday to also introduce nationwide additional restrictions on household gatherings, similar to those already in place in the west of Scotland,” she added.

Earlier in the Commons, Mr Johnson claimed the four nations of the UK were following “similar” restriction plans, despite Northern Ireland announcing on Monday that it would ban socialising between households.

This applies in places like pubs and restaurants as well as in people’s homes.

In Wales, people are not allowed to mix indoors with people outside their own household or support bubble, and meetings or gatherings indoors even within an extended household is limited to six people.

Reports suggest insiders were worried about the prospect of Mrs Sturgeon diverging and implementing a “circuit-breaker” of stricter measures – leaving the actions of Mr Johnson’s government further exposed should they fail.

Some members of the prime minister’s frontbench – including Chancellor Rishi Sunak and Home Secretary Priti Patel – are believed to have lobbied for lighter intervention, while other cabinet ministers were in favour of a more drastic approach.

Mr Johnson told MPs: “I want to stress that this is by no means a return to the full lockdown of March.  We’re not issuing a genuine instruction to stay at home, we will ensure that schools, colleges and universities stay open.”

He added: “We will continue to act against local flare ups, working alongside councils and strengthening measures where necessary.”

Source link

0
Continue Reading

Politics

Pakistan fire: Two to hang for Karachi garment factory inferno

114559893 8163a2b2 0ab9 4f45 9c8c 5a8eb0ca3c09

Image copyright
Reuters

Image caption

The charred remains of the abandoned factory are a reminder of what happened

A court in Karachi has sentenced two men to death for arson after finding them guilty of starting Pakistan’s deadliest industrial fire, which killed some 260 people in 2012.

The men were found to have set a garment factory ablaze because its owners had not paid extortion money.

They were affiliated with the MQM party, which was in power in the city at the time, the court said.

Hundreds were trapped inside the building which had no fire exits.

Prosecutors took evidence from more than 400 witnesses. The investigation into the fire called it an act of organised terrorism.

Many of the victims were charred beyond recognition. Others died or broke bones trying to jump to safety.

What happened in the fire?

The blaze at the Ali Enterprises factory in the Baldia town area of the commercial capital began in the afternoon of 11 September 2012 and raged for 15 hours. Some 40 firefighting vehicles attended.

More than 24 hours after the inferno began rescuers were still battling to reach the dead and injured inside. In all, about 500 workers had been inside the factory when the fire broke out.

Many workers jumped from the upper floors. Others could not because of metal grilles on the windows. Survivors said doorways and stairs were stuffed with stacks of finished garments.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionThe BBC’s Orla Guerin says the factory windows were barred, leaving most with no way out

Officials said the factory was crammed with combustible materials, including piles of clothes and chemicals.

People trapped inside the building frantically rang their friends and relatives as flames engulfed it.

Outside, crowds of shouting and sobbing relatives gathered for news as rescuers pulled out body after body.

In its verdict, the court in Karachi said 264 people had been killed in the fire, and 60 injured.

What has been the reaction to the verdicts?

Some relatives told BBC Urdu’s Riaz Sohail they felt justice had been only half done – as the factory owners, Arshad and Shahid Bhaila, had not also been held responsible for the loss of life.

The brothers were initially arrested but later released on bail after which they moved abroad. They were questioned by investigators via video link from Dubai .

Image copyright
Reuters

Image caption

Relatives raced to the factory after word of the blaze broke out

“Why didn’t the owners order the factory closed, knowing that the MQM’s extortionists had the freedom and the capacity to do what they did?” asked Saeeda Bibi, who lost her 18-year-old son Ayan in the inferno.

Ayan had been her only child – he was planning to quit his job but was waiting for his final salary payment which had been delayed.

Ms Bibi also wanted to know what had happened to a 90m rupee compensation package that was promised to those affected but she said had not materialised.

Faisal Ahmad, the father of another 18-year-old killed in the fire, said when he reached the factory on the day of the blaze, its exit was locked.

“I asked the manager to unlock the door but he didn’t do it. Had he kept it open, some lives may have been saved.”

How was arson proved?

The fire in Baldia was initially thought to have been an accident. Pakistan is prone to industrial disasters, often as a result of poor construction, or lax safety standards and enforcement.

The subsequent discovery that it was an arson attack provided an insight into the grim nexus between political workers and serious criminality in the city, reports the BBC’s Secunder Kermani in Islamabad.

Image copyright
Reuters

Image caption

It took nearly a day for emergency services to put the fire out

The investigation report said the sum demanded for “protection” was 200m Pakistani rupees ($1.2m). In September 2019, one of the factory owners confirmed this in his witness statement to the court.

Explaining why he thought the fire was not accidental, he said it first broke out in the basement, and then on the upper floor while nothing happened on the mezzanine floor in between.

After early investigations focused on whether or not the owners had been negligent, a key witness told officials members of the city’s powerful Muttahida Qaumi Movement had been trying to extort money from the factory – and were behind the fire.

The MQM’s current leadership denies any involvement with the fire. It is now part of Pakistan’s governing coalition, having split into factions in 2017.

No date has been set for the hanging of Abdul Rehman, also known as Bhola, and his associate Zubair Charya, the men who were sentenced to death. They have the right to appeal.

Bhola was the MQM’s official responsible for the Baldia area, the court heard. In a 2016 statement to the magistrate, he admitted asking Charya to set the factory on fire on the orders of a more senior MQM figure, who is still being sought by police.

Bhola was arrested with Interpol’s help, while Charya escaped to Saudi Arabia and was arrested when he flew back to Karachi some years ago later.

In addition to the two death sentences handed down, the court gave four factory guards life in jail after finding them complicit in the crime.

Four others were acquitted, including the then-provincial minister for industries, Rauf Siddiqui, an MQM member. All the defendants had denied the charges against them.

Source link

0
Continue Reading

Trending